Saturday, February 02, 2008

I (Heart) Hearts Times 23!

1) Use fabric swap fabric from ASG party in December - Check
2) Use what I already had floating around the sewing room - Check
3) Use something red/pink/hot for Project Spectrum - Check
4) February is Sew Mama Sew Quilting Month - Check
5) Make something Valentine-y to go with potholder - Check
6) Make something memorable for 23rd wedding anniversary - Check

1) The background batik fabric is from the fabric swap. The circles (which can also represent hugs) reminded me of those dot candies on paper rolls.
2) The swatches of fabric which match the dots are from previous Quilt Market fabric booths and almost look like those Necco conversation heart candies. Bernartex even called the giveaway packet "Quilter's Candy"
3) The purple edging and backing fabric is also from Market stash

4) Play with placing the squares and rectangles randomly, just like the "Flicka" pattern by Hillary Lang from Simple Contempory Quilts: Bold new designs for the first-time quilter by Valeria Van Ardale Shrader (2007, Library Call No. 746.46 - ISBN: 978-1-57990-875-1).
5) Suddenly think Valentine's/Love/etc., and inspired, immediately start cutting out hearts.
6) Think "uh-oh" - now the pieces are too tiny and too late to Wonder-Under to make attaching easier.
7) Brainstorm! Cross stitch "X's" to attach the bits and be the "kisses" to go with the circle hugs.
8) Make sure I have 23 hearts - out of 11 pieces of fabric? Find a swatch of pink Ultrasuede and put in the center!
9) Can't decide what color thread, spy a free sample spool of variegated metallic in all the colors on the thread rack - luck!
10) Free-motion stitch around and over pieces. Being very, very careful to keep fingers out of the way. A timely reminder to tell the blogosphere the story of how my thumb got in the way free-motioning and the needle not only went into it, but the tip broke off at the eye inside my thumb. But I didn't know it and thought the piece just flew off. But the little worry voice in my head started getting louder when I couldn't find it. Three days later go to doctor because thumb still hurts and he takes an X-ray and tah-dah - we find the needle tip! Go to surgeon next day and I now have a very identifiable thumbprint scar. Resolve not to enter a life of crime. The day after surgery, go to my daughter's school for her Kindergarten interview, do not take pain meds that morning as I don't want appear like a druggie mom, thereby ruining her chances of acceptance into a very uptight/Christian school. Testing and interview takes almost 2 hours - She passes, I almost pass out, I pop the pain meds as soon as I leave the office (DH was driving).
11) Finished size ends up to be 10 3/4" x 12 1/4" Hubby loves it and me!

No comments: