Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Toy


The Rival Model RC61 3-Cup Rice Cooker

I bought it at Target for $16. Check out the cool Target logo sticker handle. I always wondered what those plastic strips were at the end of the checkout conveyer. Before using, your best bet is to read the reviews on Amazon.com for very helpful tips, such as adding a couple of teaspoons of olive oil to the water to help keep it from sputtering all over the counter, floor...At least it wasn't as messy as when I used the saucepan on the stove...and giving it a little stir when it is close to done before beginning the 5-7 minute wait in the warm cycle. My brown rice turned out perfectly, though. I bet when I try their suggestions it will be even better next time. I also think they have improved this model when reading the opinions. For instance, the steamer only sits 1/4" into the pot, so you can steam and make rice at the same time - thereby negating all the worries about no room for the rice. I used one cup of rice and it made plenty for our red beans and rice last night. When I was in the checkout line, the person ahead of me said he had one those, too and loved it. I told the checkout clerk I was tired of weighing down the saucepan lid with plates, bricks, whatever was handy in the kitchen and she asked "Are you from the North? People from the North don't know how to cook rice!" My "people from the North" used Minute Rice!

No comments: