Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Molasses Oat Banana Bread


This is from the September, 2003 issue of Cooking Light magazine - the same article where I got my other banana bread recipe. Click here for the recipe link.
The cinnamon I use in this recipe is Penzeys China Cassia. As you can probably tell by now, I have all of their cinnamons, but I use different ones for different recipes. The China Cassia is the perfect match for this bread.

Again, the batter easily fit into three 5 3/4" x 3 1/2" pans, reducing the cooking time to about 35-45 minutes. I also tried Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend sticks to substitue for the butter. No difference in texture and taste - yay! That move made this even healthier and lower fat. The loaf and slices look pretty, too. I'm gifting one this morning to my yoga teacher.

If you have bananas on the counter and don't want to make the same-o, same-o banana bread, give this a try. You'll see why it earned Cooking Light's 5 star "Outstanding" rating and it's in my recipe notebook binder.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I might have to try it. To be honest when I read the name of it, I thought it didn't sound too good (I'm not a huge molasses fan). But when I thought about it some more and I do really like oats and I like molasses IN things...like gingerbread. Then you said how good it was and how much you like it. I might actually like it! :)

YayaOrchid said...

mmmm....Those loaves do look good. Thank you for sharing!

annamae said...

mmm sounds yummy! I just bought the Jan. issue of cooking light. cooking more is on my new years goals list. ;) might have to give this one a try!