Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Santa, please bring me time, nice fabric, patterns that fit...

If you were expecting a sweetness post to sip with a mug of cocoa - Skip to the next blog on your list and grab something stronger. This rant began when a friend asked me about local sewing machine dealers in the Houston area and this is part of my email response...

"...But just as the fabric stores are changing, so are the sewing machine dealers. As you discovered with quilting shops selling sewing machines. Are you a fabric store or a sewing machine store? Stand-alone, one-brand dealers are disappearing. And I think it is difficult and frustrating to deal with these new hybrid stores. Everyone knows nothing. Arrgh!

What is happening to the middle market? And to sewing machines? You can find cheap machines at Wal-Mart and Jo-Ann's, and then pricey my-first-car-didn't-cost-this-much! $$$ brands such as Berninas, etc. Are sewing machines becoming disposable like toasters and small electronics? When a machine is sold in the $100-ish range, and repairs can come close to that, as I'm sure you've discovered -- what is a sew-er supposed to do? Take up scrapbooking?! And in this economy, how many people are willing to take the risk to throw it all behind one expensive brand of machine and hope for business. Especially when you have the Internet deals, eBay and even Craigslist.

A friend of mine had a Riccar, all-metal, a workhorse from the late 60's/70's. Yet she spent years and $$$ trying to get it repaired and ultimately never could get it to work 100% again. I lost track of how many repair people and dealers told her it could not be fixed. Even asking online! They just gave up or didn't have the expertise or equipment/parts. That's crazy!

As if today's sew-er isn't challenged enough trying to find decent fabric and patterns properly drafted, we must contend with finding good machines and keeping them working.

I asked L the other day if any of her classmates sewed. She said one maybe - who only takes things apart and embellishes. Nothing from start to finish. L also said when clothing is so cheap (and falls apart after 3 washings), there really isn't an investment wardrobe or the inclination (and money!) to create something to wear. That's a really sad, endless loop!

So yes, I agree with you -- it is crazy out there. And amazing that the 4th largest city has such dismal* offerings..."


I'm sure your city is the same, too. What do you do?


_____
(*with the exception of H, my repair guy!)

2 comments:

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

Well I live in small town Arkansas and we had a sewing machine repair store but it went out of business not too long ago so who knows what I'll do. I have my grandmothers Kenmore that is probably 30 yrs old...they don't come that good anymore.

Anonymous said...

You sewing folk are a loyal group. Maybe its just no one takes the time to become craftsman anymore. Think happy thoughts, for the world is just collapsing all around us.