Monday, December 08, 2008

Let's Get Crocking - Crockpot Corn Chowder


From Prevention's Fall/Winter Slow Cooker Recipe Book on Page 17 - Corn Chowder. I give it a C-, since no one else around here will touch it. I thought it was bland and needed more zip.

CORN CHOWDER
2 cans (15 ounce each) whole kernel corn, drained
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups 1% milk
1/4 cup trans-free margarine
chives, optional
Place corn, potatoes, onion and broth in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low 7-9 hours. Let cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Puree half of the broth in a blender (the potatoes were soft enough, I hand mashed instead). Return pureed mixture to cooker and stir in milk and margarine. Cover, cook on High 1 more hour. Garnish with chives, if desired.

I only used one 11 ounce can of corn, good thing, and five small potatoes. It was corny enough with just one smaller can. I wished they had specified the size of the potatoes or the volume/weight. I also substituted skim milk for the 1% and skipped the margarine. I added a chopped carrot for color and extra oomph nutritionally, and seasoned salt and pepper to give it some kick. Will I make it again? Probably not this one. There are other potato soup recipes out there. I'll use the crockpot for my stovetop potato soup recipe instead.

No comments: