Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let's Get Crocking - Creamy Chicken and Stuffing Casserole


Another recipe from Prevention's Fall/Winter Slow Cooker magazine - page 21. I used a $1 box of Stovetop Stuffing - Low Sodium Chicken from the pre-Thanksgiving sales, a Costco package of boneless chicken breasts (3), 1 can of Healthy Cream of Chicken soup and 3/4 cup of water. Mix water with the stuffing in one bowl, mix the chicken and the soup in another. Beginning with the chicken/soup mixture, alternatively layer chicken and stuffing, ending with stuffing on top. I skipped the recipe's zucchini (2!), chopped bell pepper, 8 ounces fresh mushrooms and 1 chopped onion, as I knew they would get picked out. I served it with green beans on the side instead. Crock on Low for 4 hours (High 2 1/2-3 hours). Verdict - A solid B It needed more zip - probably salt since everything was low sodium, or maybe the missing veggies. The combination just did not appeal to me. But I liked the idea of an easy meal to toss together. I may try boneless chicken thighs for more flavor next time. Or try turkey cutlets with the turkey stuffing.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Sounds really good, yum.