Sunday, December 14, 2008

Let's Get Crocking - Maple Ginger Sauced Apples


I got the inspiration for this from the January 2009 issue of Fitness magazine. They had a month-long calendar of healthy snacks, one of which was Maple-Ginger Applesauce on page 76. I've been wanting to try making crockpot applesauce. And I liked the interesting combination of fresh ginger and maple syrup. I had 5 Red Delicious apples a little past their prime - but a good volunteer for this experiment. Peeled and sliced, I then added 1/4 cup water, some grated fresh ginger (about a teaspoon), drizzled some maple syrup on top, sprinkled a little Ceylon cinnamon, and tossed in a handful of craisins for color into a 2-quart slowcooker. Crock on Low for 2-4 hours. I did not mash the slices, just stirred and ladled some warm over Blue Bell's Low Fat Country Vanilla Frozen Yogurt. It's not a snack anymore but dessert. So good! I found this porcelain ginger grater at Whole Foods. It did a great job saving my fingers and using that last bit of leftover ginger .

2 comments:

Sandra said...

YUM that sounds so good.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. Think we'd all love this one! I've never seen a ginger grater before.