Thursday, May 08, 2008

Slow Cooker Thursday and Crockpot Challenge - Cornbread

This is from Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery, Revised edition, 1995 (ISBN: 1-55788-217-7) - Page 209 I liked the addition of 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and only needing 2 tablespoons sugar. I also used skim milk instead of just "milk." When I flipped through the book trying to find a recipe for today, I thought this would be a great opportunity to use the Rival Bread Baker container, hiding in the back of my pantry. It goes perfectly in the Model 3355 (5 quart?) crockpot, but alas, I never got around to replacing the cracked plastic lid which Rival was using at the time. Time for Plan B -- the 6 cup Corning Ware baking dish, which just fit in "Big Bubba." Mabel says to put 2-3 paper towels on top of the baking dish, but I figured I'd use the matching lid, just skewed slightly. I'm also a little leery of cooking on High 4 1/2-5 hours. I'll do a check at 3 hours. The newer crockpots get and cook hot faster, even on the Low setting. I'll soon find out and report back if I should have used the Low setting instead. . .

It was done at 1 hour, 45 minutes on HIGH. The edges were slightly darker, as if baked in the oven and very yummy. Success, but watch your time and your crockpot! Start checking at 1 1/2 hours, at least the first time you make this to be on the safe side.

CORNBREAD

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 egg
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup milk

Grease a 6-7 cup baking dish. In a bowl, stir all dry ingredients together. In a small bowl, beat together egg, oil and milk. Pour liquid ingredients into cornmeal mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Place dish in bottom of slow cooker. Cover with 2-3 pieces of paper towel. Cover and Cook on High 4 1/2-5 hours or until firm. Serve warm. Update: Mine was done to perfection on High at 1 hour, 45 minutes.


The chili powder makes it look pretty...