Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I give up on McCalls! (re-edited)


I've never had good luck with getting McCalls to fit me, even as a pre-teen stick shape, but I love their designs. I decided to give them one more chance with McCall's 5469 "Pullover Tent" (Tunic) from the last $1.99 sale at Jo-Ann's. Good thing I only paid that instead of the $15.95 list price. Not only a waste of $2 but a waste of 3 yards and a waste of 60 minutes and waste of fantasy. OK and waste of sanity.
I tried to make View B, the pink top in a nice top-weight jersey knit, I realized it would be a little voluminous, so it wasn't a fabric error on my part. I couldn't really pin-fit, the front piece was huge and unwieldy! (and not a good time cutting out, either - it hung over the the cutting table edge! Really, I should have just stopped right then and there.) That piece was so big, you even had to tape an extension! And then the pleats, I figured what the heck and decided to just go for it. But I should have studied the photo more closely -- now I look and see all that fabric bunching on the left side. Easily I could have gone down two sizes, but alas, their pattern sizing/envelope combinations are XS-S-M and L-XL. I guess McCalls now has vanity sizing -- Albeit flattering to fool myself I'm a Small (!), if other mere mortals were to buy this pattern based upon their measurements, they will also be disappointed and frustrated it's just way too big. All over.

No comments: