Thursday, March 15, 2007

Where do I get my flowery and spicy life?

When I hitch up the horses and make the trek into Houston, this is my favorite place -- Another Place in Time on the corner of W. 11th and Tulane Streets, in the Houston Heights area.

(Note: Afterwards, you should check out the Houston location of Penzey's Spices - just spitting distance away/a few streets over on W. 19th. After you leave Another Place, turn right on W 11th, head back to N. Shepherd and turn right/North until you see W. 19th. And then turn right and go a few blocks, it will be on your right.)

It's an independent nursery/store, so the plants and flowers are selected for success in the Gulf Coast area. I love to read the hand-written descriptions for each one. Makes me want to buy them all -- Good thing the prices are very reasonable. Owner Mike Lowery constantly gets new items, so each trip I bring home something different. Inside the house part you'll find cool gifts, garden decorations and these great square candles for $3.50 or 3/$10. You will find it very hard to go home with just one. And they are made in Texas, of course!

The new "Tahitian Vanilla" candle is actually quite pleasant and doesn't make me feel like I have to hurl. Seriously. Most vanillas are gaggy. This one isn't.

No comments: