Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hey Quilt Girl!


I've been getting emails -- "Peggy, you talk the talk, but have you actually ever made a quilt?" Yes, I have, but I gave them away. "Ha!," you say. But seriously, they went to St. Jude's in Memphis, Tennessee and to Houston for the Hurricane Katrina evacuees.

To the above left are the St. Jude quilts our ASG Neighborhood Group made. Mine is out of camera range (true!), I was standing in the street to take the photo as it was. But on the right is one of my Katrina quilts. I was hoping it would go to a child, hence the 'Scooby Doo" and "Lion King" prints. Note the Texas flag print in the center. (If you like, you can read my quilting stories for PatternReview.com by clicking here for St. Jude's and here for Katrina)

Since I was and still am a quilting beginner's beginner, I used Kaye Wood's 6 Hour Quilt book-let. People, if I can do this, anyone can! Several years ago at the Houston International Quilt Festival, Kaye had an area where people could take a break, sit and serge strips for the Love Connection charity quilts, using her method. Even if you had never quilted, or sewed for that matter, this was easy and simple enough to do. When I originally bought the book, I thought it would make a nice Christmas gift in holiday fabrics or out of denim (the legs). I still do...! ;-)

No comments: