Monday, August 08, 2016

Sepia! Just say the word

Whenever I see or type the word Sepia, I think of Phil Collins' "Sussudio"  (Sep, Sep, Sepia)

Anyways, during the reorg of the studio I found four different brands and tubes of Sepia.   I am in the process of creating a painting project with old photographs and I must have been grabbing Sepias whenever I would see them.

Which was a good thing, as compared side by side, you can really see the difference.

I remember buying the Cotman when I first started watercolor.  Not knowing anything about brands and pigments.  It's a pretty shade, but pretty wimpy.  And the cap broke into pieces when I tried to open it for the paint off.  No harm, no foul.  I tossed it into the trash.

I was surprised to see how "cool" the Winsor & Newton was compared to the others.  It was definitely an ashy-gray.   For some effects, this would be good.

I learned from Hilary Page that names don't always mean the same color across the brands, and to go by the pigment numbers.

The label on Winsor & Newton - "synthetic iron oxide, carbon black, PBK 6, PR 101

Daniel Smith, second from the left - "burnt umber PBR 7, ivory black PBK9

Holbein - "PBR 7, PBK 6"

So you can see some of the numbers are shared, but not in the same combination.

Holbein is nice, I had splashed water accidentally - it is/was a stronger shade than photographed.  Warmer than WN.  However, not a good lifter once it dried.

But it was the Daniel Smith which appealed to me.  The granulation and the warmth and intensity. I will be using that.

I think it depends upon what YOU like, what your eye sees, which resonates with your creativity.   As they say, your mileage may vary.  And it is fun to experiment and play in the studio...and blog!

No comments: