Monday, August 29, 2016

Life's a hoot!

Playing around with two different papers - my first time using Fabriano Hot Press 140 pound, 25% cotton - and then using a sheet of Strathmore Cold Press 140 pound 300 Series (Better).  Personally, I have created nice paintings using the Series 300.  Most of the time I will use Arches, but I get good results from Strathmore, especially when experimenting.

I found the water and paint sat atop the hot press paper, not quite like Yupo but similar.  I thought the colors were more vibrant and also "bloomed" and blended nicely.  In both paintings I was trying to drop in more wet paint and having them mix on the paper.  I liked the results!  Surprisingly the effect was more "watercolor-y" and elicited a lot of thumbs' up from friends and family.


I also enjoyed the opportunity to road test my new purple paints in the background -- Qor Dioxazine Purple, Winsor & Newton Cobalt Violet, Daniel Smith Carbazole Violet and American Journey Raw Umber Violet.


I think both of these folk art owls seem to be reminiscent of Day of the Dead/Día de los Muertos sugar skulls, too!


No comments: