Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sandra Betzina Today's Fit Vogue 2949 - View A & B Jacket


Here is View A with the back flaps, but with the bound edges of View B. This is an interesting jacket. Every time you put it on, it looks a little different. Especially if you use a grabby fabric like this black/tan/red brushed cotton plaid from Jo-Ann's. The fabric is so soft, I committed the cardinal sin of not washing it first, fearing it would pill or lose body. I did prewash the uncut/waleless red corduroy trim I used on the bias, to make it softer. If you want to trim all your edges, including the View A flaps with a bias cut woven, you'll need 3/4 yard of 45" wide. I also detoured from Sandra's instructions -- I didn't Stay-Tape the edges first, which would probably be a good idea if your fabric is loosely woven. I also said oh Hell no to hand sewing the trim to the underside. I used a narrow zig-zag and caught the underside just fine. It helped that there was a little bit of a nap to let the stitches sink in. As it was, it took me hours to trim, especially if you are binding the flaps, too. I really liked the jacket before I added the flaps, though the back was a little too high, despite adding 2" in length. If I were to make it again, I would add more and then trim to be a little bit longer than the front. Not shorter as is for View B. Then I added the flaps. . . While they lengthened the back, I just about cried when I saw what they did to the sides. Remember those handkerchief or bandana skirts? With the the squares on point? That's what it looked like. Only sticking out at an unflattering angle. Wah! First I was going to fold and tack them in place. That looked odder. Then I looked at the pattern envelope photo and noticed the model's sides were more in back of her. When I pushed the flap sides more towards the back, it looked much better.
Total cost to make before tax with ASG 10% discount: $21.43
3 3/4 yard brushed cotton plaid: $16.17
3/4 yard waleless corduroy: $1.66
Vogue 2949: $3.60
Thread from previous projects: Free

Not bad for a something different fun and cozy jacket.