Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake

Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake from the August/September 2008 issue of Healthy Cooking, page 57.

Look Ma, no eggs! Yet is it dense and chocolately and yummy! I think storing it in the refrigerator helped achieve that. This week HEB has a coupon when you buy a 3 pound bag of apples, you get a free bag of Kraft Caramels worth $1.99. I decided to go with free instead of spending for the caramel ice cream topping. I melted 6 caramels with a little bit of water in the microwave in 20 second timings. AND...I cut the recipe ingredients in half to fit into a 9"x9" pan. Having a 13"x9" cake around is too tempting! Easy enough to do until you got to the 1/3 cup measures. No 1/6 measuring cups, but easy enough to eye-ball (a little less than 1/4 cup). It baked in about 25 minutes. The frosting was an interesting twist and taste - I can see using it on an apple cake, too.