Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Burda 7804 View A - Top


The rather frumpy-looking pattern photo of Burda 7804 View A top deserves a second look!

I didn't add any to the length, so if you are petite...you may want to shorten or pass.

Also, the pattern calls for a separating zipper for left side seam. I didn't discover this until after cutting out and getting ready to sew. Separating zipper? Screw that! Before I ran back out to Jo-Ann's, burning 1/2 gallon of $3.49 gasoline, I basted the shoulder and side seams and tried to pull it over my head - no problem, no need for a zipper! If you look at the drawing, you'll see one dart, but the crossover seam on the right side is actually a princess seam! That takes care of the balance act! When you are at the basting stage to see if you need that zipper, also baste that dart first to make sure it is pointing in the right direction. I had to redo and adjust upwards.
The fabric I used was a beige on beige floral embroidered, hemstitched stripe rayon/linen blend from Jo-Ann's on sale - 50% off of $12.99/yard. A head start for warm weather cute top for less than $11! I plan to make the View C skirt, too.