Thursday, April 24, 2008

Burda 7779 View A - Top (in a woven!)


Even though it said "For Knits Only" you can make Burda 7779 View A work in a woven, especially a medium weight silky leopard print! Burda's finished measurements were definitely intended for a knit fabric, so I added 5/8" to the side seams...along with 2" in length at the adjust line and another 1" at the hem. I wanted it long enough to belt, so I also made 4" side seam slits for a little more ease. You'll need to cut pattern piece 3 on the bias, as it is used to finish the neckline. Sewing was also made easier using Steam-A-Seam Light before topstitching the shoulder seams and hems.


It was easy enough to make in this morning to wear in the afternoon. Though I did notice wearing a leopard print is not for the shy, you do attract attention. L and I thought the print was very similar to "The Real Housewives of New York City" Alex's opera gown.



What else did I like? The neat shoulder seam slit and decorative strap insert, pulling in the neckline, though you really can't see it in the photos. When I make this again, in a knit, it might be fun to use it in a contrasting color to make it stand out more. I like that it is "almost" sleeveless, giving a little more upper arm coverage. I like the variety of styles offered in the pattern. View B is next on the agenda, again in a woven - it's a sheer, ribbon-y fabric. And View E looks like it would make a cute yoga top. Definitely grab this pattern, it's another Burda winner!