Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Heart-2-Heart, Valentine's for Wounded Soldiers Postcards










These were my three favorites of the nine I made.

At last year's Houston International Quilt Festival, I saw and admired (and bought!) the FiberArt for a Cause postcards being sold for American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Research Fund.

"Start to Finish"
by Monica

When a friend of mine fowarded information about the Heart-2-Heart Postcard Project, Valentine's for Wounded Soldiers, I thought I would give it a try. Quilts.com helped coordinate and deliver all the postcards.

I had to search a little to find the double-sided Pelltex, suggested by Deb R's Red Shoe Ramblings blog. Jo-Ann's had it behind the cutting table. A good use for your 40% off coupon, it's $7.99/yard. There's three kinds -- 70 (non-fusible), 71 (fusible on one side) and 72 (fusible both sides). On the 72, only one side "looks" fusible. That shiny side is the side you should fuse to the wrong side side of the fabric - the rough side will be fused to the paper backing when you are done embellishing. So stack it rough side down on the ironing board, preferably on a silicone sheet, then the fabric. I discovered that on my SECOND try! I saved my "oops!" and wrote on it with a Sharpie which side went where. I found the different colored cardstock for the backing at Hobby-Lobby, already almost postcard sized (4 1/2x 6 1/2), which gave me a little scootch room to trim and even up my edges to 4x6.

Since they didn't have to be Valentine-y and if they receive more than Walter Reed needs, the extras will be going to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio and Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland. What a great way to recognize and encourage our servicemen and servicewomen.

No comments: