Thursday, October 09, 2008

Vogue 7799 - View C Top

Shock! I sewed a Vogue (7799) and...it is not a Sandra Betzina!
After checking Patternreview with over 22 mostly positive reviews, I realize I'm a little late to the dance on this pattern, too. But better late than never, what a cute top! I made View C with the long sleeves and cross-over collar.

Surprisingly Burda-like frugal with the yardage requirements. I used a stash fabric with not quite enough to cut Collar #6 the correct way, on a lengthwise fold. But if the fabric is a 2-way stretch, why should that matter? So I cut it on the crosswise fold and the world didn't end. In fact, I couldn't even tell the difference. Even if your knit fabric is not quite two-way giving (tug! tug!), I still think it would work and probably even give the detail even more definition. Save fabric, save $$.

I did use some of Sandra's tips. Basting the side and sleeve seams to adjust for fit. Hemming or just trimming a little shorter the underlap separately like in 2945.
I discovered that there was just "too much real estate" between the collar insert and the top bottom, so I lowered the crossover matching point 2 inches. I think it actually fit better. A little more bias-y and more draping, following the collar lines. As long as it is a thin or drapey knit, you can get away with doing this after you 've already cut out the fabric. I'll adjust and true-up the pattern when I make it again.

Other adjustments -- Added 1/4" to the sleeve side seams. One reviewer had noted the sleeves were a little tight. With a thicker knit, that's a definite do. Added 1" to the sleeve length. Surprise, they run long. I'm keeping and enjoying the extra length. Back - added 1 1/2" to the length. Front - 2" which came in handy to even up trim after moving the crossover lower. And to keep the front from hiking up higher than the back.

I thought this pattern was easy and fast to sew. It's a pretty style. It looks cute belted, too. I'm even willing to try the other versions with the cowl neckline.