Friday, October 03, 2008

Sandra Betzina Today's Fit - Vogue 1058


Sandra's patterns are back in my good favor - Here's proof with Vogue 1058, View B cardigan. On the hanger, in this fabric...the photo does not do it justice.
I do need to point out that my version has been seriously lengthened -- 1 1/2 inches in the sleeve length, 2 inches for the upper front, 1" for the lower front, 3" in the back. The sleeves really run short (I'm adding another inch next time) and you want to make sure the ribbon/fabric insert hits flatteringly below the bustline. If you are petite, this pattern is ready to sew.
Because I used a stretchy rayon knit from Jo-Ann's Red Tag section, I cut the front tie band on the lengthwise grain so the stretch was going vertical instead of horizontal. I can only imagine the rippley mess I would have had otherwise. Plus it gave it more visibility and design interest. I'll also add maybe 3" in the length so I could have the option to tie it in a bow.
Sandra's directions and pattern designing skills are impeccable again. Good illustrations, especially involving the tie band. Watch your notches and do not attempt if you are tired. Your brain and your sanity will thank you.
I can definitely forecast sewing more versions of this with different fabrics -- especially something glitzy or lacy for the holidays. It sews together easily and quickly. I can't wait to try the tank top - more fabric fun!
(J.Jill moss green skirt and boysenberry tank-both on sale!)