Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's a good day to...

sew - and think about sewing. And fashion. It's raining outside right now, but not a torrential, toad-strangling downpour. Nice enough to be soothing without worrying if the roof repair will hold.

I am trying to resuscitate Vogue 8505 View A jacket. I love the fabric; it is a knit which looks like mock distressed leather without being tacky, believe it or not. It's drapey and I thought it could save itself from the design. In any case, now I know these "T" shapes don't flatter me or anything all bunchy under the arms. It's a short walk from looking cool to looking like a meatball. I'm going to try and take it in on the sides or turn it into a vest/jacket like Sandra's older Today's Fit patterns 8125, 7065, 8089. She sure seems to like this topper style - wish me luck! I'll either be able to wear it in public or end up transmogrifying the fabric into purses or book covers/portfolios, or reindeer ornaments for Christmas presents. (I'm sure my sister is reading this going, "uh, OK!")
Up next on the cutting table is Sandra Betzina's Vogue 2949. I'm going to use the soft brushed cotton plaid I had planned for 8505 two-peat. I've seen 2949 sewn in many varieties of fabrics, so the odds of success are pretty well in my favor, I hope. I found some wale-less red plum corduroy which matches one of the plaid colors to use as trim on sale for $3.49/yard at Jo-Ann's this morning. It will help calm the plaid and showcase the cool collar lines and edges of the jacket. Along with the fabric, I also grabbed Sandra's newest patterns - 1071, 1081, 1082 for $3.99 each. The drawers were waiting for me and fully stocked - at least 5 copies of each one! Sale is through October 18.

I thought the Project Runway finale was interesting -- three females as the finalists. Honestly, I liked them all. And I loved the "Oh, CRAP!" look on Kenley's face when it was announced Tim Gunn would be filling in for JLo as the guest judge. But really, a foot injury excuse? Tape it, prop it up and go on with the show. Leanne's eco-friendly turbines barely edged out Korto's greens, which I thought were stunning. I also liked some of Kenley's designs, especially the floral painted beige dress. She definitely has potential but needs some maturity.

Enough computing, time to get back to the sewing room to play with sharp objects. . .