Sunday, January 15, 2017

30 Paintings 30 Days - Day 15

I attended a paint-in workshop to learn techniques and ideas for working watercolor wet-in-wet.  These are my three practice pieces.
"Mountain view on the way to Galveston"

Cropped!
Practicing working wet in wet.   And learned how to paint mountains as a bonus!

Three colors -- I used Winsor & Newton Indigo for the sky and water reflection, Daniel Smith's  Quinacridone Gold and Olive Green.

Snow Trees
Learned about another cool Daniel Smith color - Indanthrone Blue.  A favorite triad of the instructor, she uses this blue with Anthraquinoid Red (I used Alizarin Crimson here) and Quinacridone Gold.  It makes pretty oranges, greens and purples and darks mixed all together.  You can also use Prussian Blue.

I liked the shadowy effect in the background and then when it dried, using the rigger brush to make the trees creating my own black and my Daniel Smith Lunar Black.
Path of light
This was so much fun - wet in wet Daniel Smith's Undersea Green separates into Ultramarine blue and yellow and pushes into the treeline of Winsor & Newton French Ultramarine Blue.  The sky is a mix of Winsor & Newton Alizarin Crimson and French Ultramarine Blue.  I mixed the two together and then double-loaded the brush edges of each separate color  I added a few touches of Alizarin to the green for more fun color play.


No comments: