Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bake Sale! Cocoa M&M Cookies

I think the flowers help hide the fact we snuck some out and ate them ourselves, don't you?

This is from McCalls magazine, circa March 1995 when M&M's came in 1 pound bags...now they are 14 1/2 ounces. I always thought the contrast between the chocolate brown and the Easter pastel colored M&M's looked so pretty and spring-like! Because I was pressed for time this go-round, I did not roll them in powdered sugar before baking, but instead sprinkled a little on top after they came out of the oven. I think I like this better, and less messy. I also learned I could just drop them by teaspoonfuls on the sheet from the mixer instead of chilling first-more time saved.

COCOA M&M COOKIES

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (you can easily lop off 1 1/2 tablespoons without being missed)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup M&Ms plain chocolate candy, any kind
confectioner's sugar

Grease 3 large baking sheets. Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In large (coverable if you do this *) bowl, combine sugar and butter. At high speed beat 2 minutes or until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla; beat 2 minutes. Beat in flour mixture. Stir in candies. (*chill 10 minutes or until dough is firm. Roll dough into 1" balls then roll in confectioner's sugar). Place 2" apart on prepared sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool.

No comments: