Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Vogue 8151 View A - Sandra Betzina Today's Fit

I think I like this one as much or better than the TNT View B! Why did I wait so long?! It's hard to believe they are both from the same pattern, making it an even better deal! Two totally different looks. Two totally great tops! Run, run, run to get the 8151 before it's pulled!

View A "Scrunched Side Top" --
What I love:

  • Well-placed overwrap. Unlike other patterns, you don't have to fiddle with the placement while wearing (no slipping around).
  • The V neckline. Not plunging, not too wide that you feel exposed. I don't even need a pin to keep it closed. The opening goes right to the top of cleavage and stops. Stays put...unless you are reaching for the bananas at Kroger!
  • The shape of the neckline band. First, the back center seam turns into bias, so it hugs the back of your neck. Second, you don't need to staystitch or staytape the opening or the band. In fact, her directions specifically tell you not to do this!
  • The side seam gatherings are subtle. The fabric I used was a medium weight poly knit. Probably in a thinner fabric you would get finer and smaller gathers.
  • The top also runs longer than View B, and is not as fitted/curvy at the side seams. I think the shirring is the factor.

What I did:

  • Added 1/2" above the armhole notch front and back pieces. (Sandra's recommendation if you are tall or have a long torso). Also added this in the neckline band. I should have also done this in the sleeve piece like I did on View B's, but I had already cut it out and it fit in alright anyways.
  • Added 1" to the front and back pieces right above the waistline.
  • Didn't add any to the sleeve, but next time I will. Probably 1- 1 1/2 inches. I plan to wear these sleeves pushed up - it's heading towards the 80's (pant, pant) the end of this week. The heat is turning up. I may just sew it again with 3/4 length sleeves instead. Perhaps a version just above the elbow?
  • Hemming - I suppose if I followed her directions, it would have saved me some *$^#@ words. Especially in this slippery poly, the two front pieces weren't playing nicely together. I did get creative with the pinning and did it while it was on the hanger. See photo.
  • Marked on the instructions the elastic measurement is 7 1/4" That little elastic guide piece may go MIA. Why doesn't Vogue and the others superimpose it on the main pattern piece or just include it in the instructions? Also you need 1/4" -- not 3/8," as tempting as that might be to use. Fortunately I was able to find a small leftover piece (just enough!) amongst all those 3/8th's and their larger cousins in the elastic bag.

Sandra's struck gold again with this pattern. It's also mentioned in her Spring/Summer 2007 forecast. The combinations and results are endless with different fabrics.

No comments: