Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wearing o' the Green! - Shamrock Boutonniere pins


Or, "Mom did you really sew this to my uniform vest?!" Yes, yes I did! Just the top ribbon cockade part though.

I found the link to Martha Stewart's Shamrock Boutonniere, at the Craft Gossip site yesterday afternoon and finished them while watching "Dancing with the Stars." Don't we all do better under a little pressure? (Sewing and DWTS)

The larger shamrock is the template I used for ours. I sort of followed Martha's directions. . .
1) I traced the shamrocks onto clear plastic...2) went into the stash and pulled the shamrock fabrics, cut two each 3" x 5" of each fabric...3) discovered I didn't (or couldn't find) my Wonder Under and used a piece of non-fusible interfacing sandwiched between...4) I stitch-traced along the templates and learned the small one is just too small... 5) Then I zig-zagged 1.5 L x 2.0 W around each shamrock and cut out... 6) Folded each leaf in half and pressed, then stitched along the crease...7) I didn't have floral wire, but I had metallic silver pipecleaners and I attached the shams to them.

I grouped three together and tied with two green bows. L thought hers needed more bling, so I added a string of green sequins and the shamrock bow on top. I tied mine together with the wired shamrock ribbon. We are good to go! Just cross your fingers she will be lucky enough to slip under the uniform police radar at school.

No comments: