Sunday, March 22, 2009

Java (Jelly) Bean Coffee Cup Sleeve


I combined two ideas for coffee cup sleeves. The pattern for the "Java Jacket" is from CK Media's Quick Gifts holiday issue and the closure idea is from House on Hill Road/Erin Harris' Coffee Cozy.
I needed to adjust the curve on the pattern, as for some reason it was wider at the center and didn't appear even when it was wrapped around the cup. I'm also thinking you may want to also make the band about 1, 1 1/2 ,or even 2 inches narrower, depending upon what size drink you usually order. (You could also use a cardboard cup sleeve as the pattern.) Instead of following the directions of sewing right sides together and turning inside out, I sandwiched the batting between the wrong sides of the fabric...and machine quilted around some of the jelly beans. Being a little too lazy this afternoon to switch out the serger threads, I did a serpentine stitch along the edges and then a narrow zig zag over the edge. I liked Erin's idea of using a new hair elastic to loop around a button - this will help the sleeve accommodate differently-sized cups. (My model is a 20 ounce cup from Buc-ee's.)
Pam Archer's "Java Jacket" article also suggested different alternatives such as adding small ball fringe to the lower edge, an outside pocket , or using ironing board insulation instead of batting for extra-hot coffee.
This is a fun and quick little gift to sew showcasing cool buttons, trim and using some stashed fabrics or leftover technique practice pieces.

2 comments:

Lala said...

Hi Peggy!!! Am I imagining it or are things "disappearing"? Maybe the "kitties" drank all the milk??? Hmmmmmmm...

These cozies would make fun fundraiser items!!! I'm not too confident to draft my own pattern so I would have to "snake" a prototype from the coffee shop! :o)

Lala :o)

Peggy said...

L pointed out some kitty cats could "see" my blog, and their claws are sharp.