Tuesday, March 24, 2009

1963 McCall's Tote Bag




I found this unused, uncut pattern for only 25 cents at a thrift store a few years ago. I bought it not only for the pattern, but the applique/embroidered initial iron-on transfers. The original price was 75 cents, I bet probably a little pricey for 1963. There were lots of options - fabric choices, trim - with fringe-making instructions, pockets, flaps, lining for the bags, including a leather skin layout (!). I cut apart the legs along the inner seam of a pair of old jeans.
I used a back pocket for the outside and the upper front pocket stitched to the inside for my cell phone, keys -- to attach to the belt loop, etc. By just edge-stitching the pocket sides and not along the top, I was able to double the pocket real estate by creating two pockets. Instead of lining, I finished the edges and then stitched some vintage trim alongside it. The gold trim was also from a thrift store "goody bag" find and matched the jeans' topstitching thread. The outside pocket's feather accent is a $3.90 hair clip from H&M. I stitched just above the jean hem to close the bottom of the bag - I wanted to incorporate the look and leave the option to easily add fringe or beading later. The finished size measures 19" from strap to bottom, 13" wide.

1 comment:

SueB said...

LOVE the tote bag - TFS!