Monday, March 09, 2009

Money Monday - Buy Down to Save Up


(With apologies to my dad, the English teacher). Despite the economy, we still need our SPF moisturizer and dishwasher detergent. After many trials and errors, I found two products that worked well for me - Bobbi Brown and Cascade. But looking to save some money, I thought I would try these for funsies. Because of Costco's product guarantee, especially those endorsed with the Kirkland Signature label and their friendly return policy, it was worth the potential savings attempt.
After hearing horror stories about the "environmentally friendly" dishwashing detergents, I was a bit skeptical about Costco's - but the $5.49 price for a 7.81 pound box was a good gamble bet. Even the box itself doesn't have the metal spout. Verdict: It washed the dishes quite well. No difference other than I think it actually cleans better than Cascade.
Bobbi Brown vs. Kirkland Borghese Protective Face Lotion. For starters, the size difference - 50 ml versus 100 ml. And price - $45 versus $16.99 abouts. Both have SPF 15 and same percentage of Octinoxate (7.5%). I like the fragrance of BB's a little bit better, but the Costco one is pleasant. It smells fresh and a little more like summer. That's OK. Saving more than 60%, I'll adjust!
Be willing to try different versions of the products you use. You may be surprised how much you like them and how much money you can save.

1 comment:

Lala said...

Hi Peggy... I have been reading a LOT of "money saving tips" lately... one of the TOP ones is to NOT be "brand loyal" and like you "try other "less expensive" brands"... I've caved to "cheaper Papertowels... and PB... so far!

Lala :o)