Tuesday, March 24, 2009

No Strings Attached Chicken Rotisserie Crockpot Soup


When all you have left is the rotisserie chicken carcass, stick it into a crockpot, add water, carrots, onion, garlic, seasoned pepper, a little chicken soup base - cover and let simmer. But be sure you remove the string holding the wings and legs underneath first! (Hmm, chicken seems a little stringy...)
After I crock it for about 6 hours, I strain it and put the broth into a container and refrigerate overnight -- to let the fat rise to the surface so I can skim it away. Then I reheat it and add fresh sliced carrots, chicken bits, 2 cups of egg noodles and voila! I think the rotisserie seasonings help to make a pretty and flavorful broth. And it is one more money-saving way to get another meal out of the bird. Leftovers freeze easily -- I put a bowlful amount in individual Zip-locs and freeze flat to save space.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thisis very similar to the way I make soup from the carcass of an oven stuffer chicken. Chicken one night, soup the next!


MJ

Jen said...

Thank you for the idea. I am trying to put more in the freezer for later use. This is perfect for lunches.

Renee said...

Great ideal! I've saved this one. Thanks!

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Renee said...

Great ideal! I've saved it to use next week. Thanks!

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Sandra said...

This is a great idea :)