Monday, November 24, 2008

Pineapple Pudding Cake

Pineapple Pudding Cake is from the August/September 2008 issue of Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine, page 55. (click links for the recipes) I was cleaning out my pantry and found an 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple close to the best used by date and thought this might be a good use for it today. The original recipe called for a 20 ounce can to make 9" x 13" cake. I didn't want that much, so I used a 8 1/2" x 10" dish. The recipe also said to use a package of yellow cake mix. Instead I used my tiny cake recipe, but kept the original sizes of pudding mix and cream cheese the same. Who doesn't want more of that combo?! I also subbed Neufachel Light cream cheese instead of the fat free. The fat free cost almost three times as much and I'm not a big fan of fat free cheeses. Nor Cool Whip, so I left that off, too. And the cherries, and the walnuts -- I like them, but didn't have any on hand. It looks pretty with just the pudding and pineapple on top. And a few sprinkles. OK, what's left? Tiny cake recipe, fat free milk, sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix, Neufachel Light cream cheese, 8 ounce can of pineapple, sprinkles. Who knows what the calorie and nutrition stats are now? The results? It tasted pretty good. The pudding/cream cheese was a nice alternative to a sugary sweet frosting. The AWOL Cool Whip, cherries and nuts were not missed and probably would have just put it way over the top. I would definitely make it again, in the larger size for a party. When I make the smaller version again, I will substitute cherries, peaches, raspberries or another fruit as T and L do not really like pineapple.

No comments: