Sunday, November 30, 2008

Grit (in) your teeth and bear it - Everyday Food #57 - Cornmeal Cookies

Looked pretty on the photo on the last page of the the November 2008 issue #57, albeit that 1 1/2 sticks of butter gave pause with the fat gram count (Maybe if I make them smaller?! Which I did.). Even the ladies on the Everyday Food show were talking about them on the Martha channel last week - "Delicious!" "Add chocolate chips!" "Try Craisins next time!" "Yummy!" I made a batch this afternoon, deciding to make some plain and adding chocolate chips to most of the others. The chocolate chip version just tasted and felt odd combined with the cornmeal grit. I should have kept them as is, they weren't that bad - different and interesting. Give them a try!

Cornmeal Cookies - Everyday Food #57 November 2008

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks room temperature butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients with a whisk in a medium bowl. Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until smooth. With mixer on low speed, slowly add dry ingredients, mixing just until ingredients are combined. Drop dough about 2 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden, 14-16 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies immediately to a wire rack, let cool completely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was looking for this recipe online (so I could share the recipe on my own blog) and your blog was the first place I found it! I made these cookies yesterday and liked them, but I wouldn't want chocolate chips or Craisins or anything added to mine.