Wednesday, January 09, 2008

So far, so good! Everyday Food Issue #49


The January/February issue is 2 for 2! Tonight I tried the Light Turkey Meatballs and the Light Chocolate Chunk Brownies... with a couple changes. After browning the meatballs, I put them in my crockpot on Low for 4 hours with a can of tomato sauce and a little sprinkle of Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle to finish cooking. So yummy and tender, you couldn't even tell they were low fat, healthier and not made of ground beef. I froze the leftovers for meatball subs or another spaghetti and meatball dinner later. The brownies were more cake-like than fudgey, but still good. I liked using the bittersweet chocolate (HEB just got in the Nestle Chocolatier bar, which was cheaper and thinner than Baker's Chocolate. I thought would be easier to melt and chop. It was!) I also sprinkled a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips on top for good luck. I wasn't too thrilled using parchment paper to line the pan, as it bunched up in the corners. While it made clean up easier, I had to put the leftovers in another container instead of using the baking dish. Next time I'll trim two sides to turn the parchment into a rectangle instead of a square. I'll definitely be making these again, too!

No comments: