Wednesday, January 30, 2008

AlterNation


AlterNation - Transform. Embellish. Customize by Shannon Okey and Alexandra Underhill 2007 ISBN: 978-1-58180-978-7, Library Call No. 646.204 Paperback, 143 pages, $19.99 list price.

First of all, cute title! Secondly, I like the price point under $20 - so many new books, even paperbacks, are clocking in at a $25+ nowadays. This is a fun book, with 25 ideas beyond the usual expected DIY embellishments. While obviously geared towards Generation Y and X'rs, there are some neat tricks grabbing my attention. Working more with grommets for starters. I've got tons of packages in different sizes and colors bought on clearance and their projects made me look at my pending plans with a "hmmm - I could use these on those." One project in particular caught my eye - the Tentacle jacket on page 55. Despite best attempts to keep my sweaters from stretching out of shape, this technique could help bring them back to wearable. I think this would be a great book to inspire a new generation of creative people. While not all strictly sewing (there's painting and embellishing, too), it's a good jump-off point for them to get going. And with the economy and environment at the forefront of our attention - the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle mantra is very applicable to this book. Save money, have fun.

No comments: