Sunday, November 04, 2007

Smokin'

My fairly new Black & Decker iron Model D2020 went out in an almost blaze of glory! I was sneaking in some sewing time to finish another pair of Kwik Sew 2811 PJ's yesterday. Plugged in the iron and started sewing. The iron usually beeps when it reaches the right temperature, only this time it beeped and then didn't stop beeping. It sounded more like a smoke alarm - which it turned into! The display screen went dark and what I thought was steam coming out of the point was smelly electrical smoke! I calmly unplugged it and took it outside out front, went back inside and told T, "Hey, guess what?!" Usually I knock irons off the board, but this one was less than six months old and hadn't fallen. I'm also slightly paranoid about electricity and fires (I unplug the toaster!), so the idea of an "auto-off" feature iron continuing to self-destruct further reinforced my unplugging obsession.

This was a first! And the last of Black & Deckers for me! I went to Target and bought a Sunbeam Steam Master 4223, in the new trendy red color.

Update 11-5-07: I love this iron! A super large water tank and a shot of steam so loud and powerful you can hear it in the hallway. And only $29.99!

No comments: