Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mistetoe Madness


This is the result of braving the chaos at Jo-Ann's yesterday. The beige duck fabric was worth the trip - it was the perfect weight.

I got the idea from two old Burda World of Fashions - October 1994 and December 1997. (I've been subscribing to Burda WOF for almost 20 years! I've had to find new homes for the older issues through the years (no room!), but I try to keep the October/November/December ones because they have such neat crafts and gift projects for the holidays.) Both had mistletoe theme projects for stenciling, embroidery and applique. I combined the leaves and mistletoe designs from each one. (I like the unique white/red/tan color combination from the 1997 issue!)

Instead of driving myself crazy zig-zagging around tiny white circles, I used white carved buttons for the berries. I thought it added a dimensional and delicate look. The buttons were from a favorite now-closed fabric store, the leaves were free fabric samples from past Houston International Quilt Markets and Festivals-just the right size!

My original intent was to make the pillow, but it turned into a wall hanging instead. I plan to hang it from the open part of the curtain rod, right above the couch. Watch out whoever sits underneath!

No comments: