Sunday, August 05, 2007

Vogue 2977 View B top


OK, while drawings don't necessarily reflect reality, this View B top--->


<---really does not look at all like this View B top!

Granted the the cargo pants aren't the perfect pairing, it's the sleeve length and neckline.
I'm not a hoochie-mama, but this neckline is a little high for me, even my daughter said it needs to be lower. I also hoped the sleeves would at least come a little closer to my elbow. My arms aren't that freakishly long (26"shoulder to wrist). Perhaps the longer View A's will look more like View B's. You should definitely pin and see where A and B hit your arms, along with neckline. I didn't and should have. (Also, the three inch seam marking dot was omitted on the trimmed View B sleeve section.) I'm pleased with the torso length (37 inches from shoulder seam to hem), it was long enough. The band seam is approximately 2-1/2 inches above the waist. And I did like the band ruching-adjustable by the wearer with a close fit, not special side seaming.
Would I make this top again? Maybe. I would redraw and lower the neckline about 1 inch. I'll use the View A longer sleeves, and add a couple extra inches for fitting insurance. I like that 3" upwards hem seam, which gives the sleeve interesting styling detail. In the directions, Sandra also suggests using a drapey woven for the top, but keeping a knit for the band. Now that might be interesting! Vogue would probably sell more of this pattern if that option was noted on the outside envelope. I also think this is a pattern where the sum of two separate pieces is greater and more wearable than the whole outfit together.

No comments: