Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Italian desserts for 100, Alex

I love to bake and make desserts (within reason...of my skills and time). I also love to volunteer at my daughter's school (also within reason...of my skills and time). So when the email went out last month looking for help with the teachers welcome back dinner, I said "yes!" The coordinator called and said the theme was Italy. Previous school events like this divvied up the effort into manageable quantities - 2 dozen lemon bars or cookies, 1 gallon iced tea, etc. I knew I was being led into deeper waters when the coordinator started talking about Italian cream cakes, Tiramisu, gelato, cannolis, etc. Oh yes, I agreed, those are yummy. . .I sure admire people who can make them! Um, what about me? Um, NO! I offered a couple alternatives, which included Amaretti cookies, convincing an Italian restaurant to donate/discount gelato, etc. And what I thought was a clever idea, and doable for me - Ghiradelli chocolate brownies with red/white/green jimmy sprinkles on top to make them festive. Chocolate! Italian flag colors! huh, huh? Silence. Well, she (not me!) suggested, maybe if they were in decorated take-home bags-and for 100!! Thank goodness she never emailed or called me back. I'm all for showing teacher appreciation-within skills, time and reason, but also the tuition I pay out the wazoo helps appreciate them, too. Pbthttt!

No comments: