Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Watercolor Wednesday - Abstract Thinking of Zen

Inspired by William Tillyer and Peter M. Hicks, working in abstract.  Washes of similar values with an added shape of opaque color.  Keeping an open mind and an open heart, I painted four pieces, at least I was having fun mixing colors.
10" x 14 1/4"

10" x 14"

10 1/4" x 14 1/4"
I even added a wash of Ivory Black Casein on this one, "Gray-dients"
It kept it from looking too "precious," but still needed something to save it from the card-making bin.
"Gray-dients"
8" x 14 1/2"
After watching "Inspired Landscape" on YouTube and Google-gazing, I decided to add a pop of color to two of my paintings.  I spun the color wheel around and loaded up my largest round brush with a lilac gouache and made Zen ensō circles.



In Zen Buddhism,  the ensō brushstroke expresses that moment when the mind is free to let the body create.   A symbol of wholeness and completion, my paintings were finished.

"Within the spinning circle of life we are born.
The human heart too should always be kept
round and complete."
~ Nantembo (1839-1925)

2 comments:

Monica said...

No as easy as it looks eh?

Peggy said...

True! The more you think about where to place the strokes and color, the more you lose the spontaneity and ease. Some people in my class just "know" when I try and ask they can't explain.