Sunday, September 04, 2016

Divino Nino - The Beckoning Child Jesus

8" x 12"
watercolor

My watercolor rendition of Divino Nino / Divine Child Jesus.

I always loved the Holy Cards with the touches of gold metallic.  I found the perfect paint from Daniel Smith (Iridescent Gold) to do just that to my painting.

Devotion to the Divine Child Jesus is very strong in the Latin-American culture, and it has also been growing here in the United States.   The Spanish words, "Yo Reinare" at the base of the statue translate to “I will reign”

I noticed the statue at the back of St. Theresa Catholic Church in Sugar Land, a suburb southwest of Houston.  There were blue and red candles you could light and an offering box, under each section.  And a Novena card in English and Spanish with this prayer on the back -

Powerful Novena to the Divine Child Jesus
(May be prayed every day for 9 days or, in urgent situations, every hour for 9 hours)

O Jesus, Who has said, ask and you shall receive
seek and you shall find,
knock and it shall be opened to you, 
by your Divine Childhood and through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother,
I knock, I seek and I ask that my prayer be granted.
(Make your request)

O Jesus, Who has said, all that you ask of the Father in My Name,
He will grant you, by your Divine Childhood and through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother,
I humbly and urgently ask the Father in Your Most Holy Name that my prayer may be granted.
(Make your request)

O Jesus, Who has said, Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will not pass away,
by your Divine Childhood
and through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother,
I am confident that my prayer will be granted.
(Make your request)

Our Father...Hail Mary...Glory Be
Jesus, I trust in you (3x)
~
There isn't a lot of information really about Divino Nino, at least in English.  The story of  Divino Nino began in Bogota, Columbia with Father John Rizzo in the early 20th century in his quest to build a church and his devotion to the Child Jesus.  This link probably gives the best background.

Intrigued by the statue, I stopped by a Catholic store after Mass, and I did find a laminated Holy Prayer Card and a religious medal for Divino Nino/Beckoning Child of Jesus


This is the Prayer to The Beckoning Child of Jesus on the back of the Holy Card -

O Beckoning Child Jesus, I pray that Thou will give Thy servant the grace to love Thee more and more, with a love like Thy Blessed Mother had for Thee. 

Give me the grace to have the time often, if not daily, to attend the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and to witness with the eyes of the sinner, Mary Magdalen, to behold Thee Crucified, and to see Thy Sorrowful Mother and St. John at the foot of the cross on the Hill of Calvary. And then, O loving Child, give me as food for my soul thy Body and Blood, as at the last Supper that Thou gave to thy Apostles. 

And after a good confession and when death is near, as the beckoning child meet me at the last moment of my life and bid me to come with Thee and show me Thy palace Thy Heavenly Father has prepared for Thee. Amen.   

~

And I also found this online -
Divine Child Jesus Serenity Prayer / Prayer to the Divino Niño In Difficult Times

Divine Child Jesus, 
In my difficulties, help me.
From my enemies of my soul, save me.
In my doubts and pains, comfort me.
In my solitudes, be with me.
In my sicknesses, invigorate me.
When others despise me, encourage me.
In temptations, defend me.
In difficult hours, strengthen me.
With Your paternal heart, love me.
With Your immense power, protect me.
And, into Your arms, when I die, receive me.

Amen

~

And another Novena on the EWTN website -

Divine Child Jesus, we believe in You; We adore You; and we love You; have mercy on us sinners.

We've come to this Temple in response to your love. We've come in response to your mercy and grace. We are here because You invited us to come before You and to pour out the cares of our hearts to You since You deeply care for each of us.

We remember Your words to the disciples: Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened. Trusting in your infinite goodness and trusting that You always keep your promise, we now ask this intention which we pray in the silence of our hearts...
...

Thank you, Divine Child Jesus, for listening attentively to our prayers all the time. We hope that You will ask this before Our Heavenly Father And, if what we ask for may not be good for our salvation and sanctification, we trust that you will grant us instead what we truly need, so that one day we may be with You for all eternity enjoying that ultimate happiness of Heaven.

Divine Child Jesus, bless and protect us.
Divine Child Jesus, bless and lead us.
Divine Child Jesus, bless and provide for us.

All this we ask through the intercession of your Holy Mother, Mary, and in Your powerful and Most Holy Name, Jesus. Amen



No comments: