Thursday, March 03, 2016

Thursday Tea Time - Gone Girl

When I visited Baton Rouge a few years ago, I found two interesting spice/coffee/tea places --

Red Stick Spice Company and Highland Coffees

At the time of my visit, their future existence was uncertain - but I was glad to check and see on their Facebook pages...Yes!  They are still open and seem to be thriving.

And --
the tea I bought is still good  (I do store my loose-leaf teas in an airtight container)
And --
if you are unable to order directly/or still carried by these places/or take a trip to Baton Rouge, I found what I think are the brands online or you can check your local stores.  I'm all about keeping the independents going, so give these guys a try first or support your local tea and coffee shops.

Pear Caramel Truffle
Red Stick Spice Company
Doppelgänger - Mighty Leaf Tea "Pear Caramel Truffle"
but their website says it is currently unavailable.

Pear is not a strong flavor to begin with, but I did detect a slight fruitiness.  You can definitely smell and taste the chocolate and cacao bits and it has a sweet finish.  However, it is not a strong mug of tea.  (That could also be because of the age.)  This flavor may have been discontinued as the last review on their website was from 2009.  (Eeesh, which trip/year did I go to Baton Rouge and find this?  Perhaps the campus tour for LSU.)  However, pears and caramel and chocolate go together so well, I'm sure another company would create/sell it eventually.  Or you can play around and create your own with other pear and chocolate teas.  Kudos to the combo inspiration.
Rating:  If you can find it again or find a fresher batch, I'd give this 3.  In the meantime, I will play around with my other teas.

Passion & Envy

Highland Coffees
Doppelgänger - SerendipiTea "Passion & Envy"

This held up very, very well and it was the one I brought back to the couch with me to sip some more.
I'm pretty sure this is the same tea - it looks like a green tea.   Plus for healthy.  A very fruity tea (I seem to detect pineapple, too!), tastes great without anything added.  And I bet would be great iced.
Rating:  4  I would seek this out again - and go back to Highland Coffees.  And that beignet place - Coffee Call.  They don't have a website, but look them up on Trip Advisor.  I've never seen powdered sugar piled so high on the beignets and the plate!  Tip:  Don't wear dark clothes!

No comments: