Ashbel Smith Building
Watercolor by Pam Heidt
The University of Texas Medical Branch was established in 1891, the first medical school in Texas and continues to be at the forefront of of educational, research and clinical excellence with schools of Medicine, Nursing, Health Professions and Biomedical Sciences.
Designed by renowned architect Nicholas Clayton and completed in 1890, the Ashbel Smith Building of red brick, red Texas granite and sandstone was the first classroom facility for the medical school. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a registered Texas historic landmark.