Monday, September 14, 2009

Money Monday - Bag It!


While shopping to prepare for upcoming orthodontic work, I spied an old favorite, Cream of Wheat. Both the individual packages and the bulk box versions. Both the same price, but not the same servings. Why pay triple the price for convenience when you can make your own bags? With a few sandwich bags and a few seconds, I scooped three tablespoonfuls serving and sealed the deal (bag) myself. I have also prepared my own cake and bread machine mixes -- just the dry ingredients. While you are measuring out the ingredients for your current baking/cooking recipe, toss an extra one into a Zip-loc. Using a Sharpie marker, write down the rest of the recipe ingredients, even the directions/oven temp and you are set to go even faster next time. You can store your bags inside another large zip bag, an airtight container or even the freezer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with a cookbook some 20 years ago. It was Make a Mix. Essentially, I make my own convienience foods. From meatloaf to cookie mix. I make a delicious pancake mix. I am not sure if the book is in publication at this time.
Joanne

Peggy said...

I have that cookbook, too! The 1995 paperback edition. I love the Taco Seasoning mix.

Lala said...

Hi Peggy!!! OMGOSH... I LOOOOOVED CoW as a KID!!! With LOTS of SYRUP (golden griddle... REMEMBER THAT BRAND???)

Hope the ortho work goes smoothly!

Lala :o)

Peggy said...

Golden Griddle, I remember that!! It was really "buttery" ; ) Though I was a white sugar girl - which quickly turned translucent but still a protective layer of sweetness to spoon through. I must confess, I've been hitting the CoW since the purchase, too! It's a nice *healthy* snack, minus the 10,000 teaspoons of sugar!