Monday, June 25, 2007

Taco Soup in the Crockpot

(Corrected 6-26-07 4 PM- I left off the can of chiles in the ingredients list yesterday)

It's only 10:35 AM, but this has been simmering since 8 AM and the smell is making me hungry! When I was pregnant, a co-worker brought this in for lunch one day and gave me the recipe. I've revised it over the years (I don't use as much meat-less than 1 pound...or I save the leftovers from taco night and when I get enough in the freezer, use that instead, and then skip the taco seasoning. The Rotel tomatoes and chiles give it enough heat.) I now use the 5 quart sized Crockpot instead, on Low for 4 hours, or High for 2. I've seen different variations in both magazines and cookbooks since Linda Sadler gave me the recipe all those years ago, but none with these exact ingredients. It's also very healthy -- back when I had the MasterCook program and a 386 computer, I ran the nutrition stats and it's very low fat, lots of fiber and good for you! Try this version, I think you'll like it!

TACO SOUP

2 pounds hamburger

1 large onion

1 can pinto beans, undrained

1 can kidney beans, undrained

1 can whole kernel corn, undrained (Use brand name, the generics get mushy. I like DelMonte's Summer Sweet Crisp Corn)

2 cans Cheddar Cheese soup -- you can also use 1/2 box 2% Velveeta cheese block

1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained

1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained

1 can diced green chiles, undrained

1 package Original Ranch Style Dressing mix (not the dip)

1 package taco seasoning mix

2 1/2 cups water

Brown ground beef with onion, drain. Add all ingredients and simmer for 30-45 minutes in a large pot. Or use the crockpot!

Serve wth tortilla chips or Fritos. Freezes well.

No comments: