Friday, June 22, 2012

Father's Day Molasses Cookies

Rolled!
On my Cuisinart cookie sheets from Costco a few years ago.  Love!

I also LOVE my Williams-Sonoma cookie sheet (I only have one)
Which I bought on sale.  A big sale, as they are $30 regular price.  Apiece.  But they help make a dang good cookie!

These disappeared so fast, I made another batch right away!
Hubby loves molasses cookies, and I'm always on the lookout to find and try new recipes.  Father's Day and a Penzeys catalog made for a good opportunity to combine all forces.  I think sometimes molasses cookies can masquerade as ginger snaps, but these are a bit softer and chewier than the usual 'snaps.  These had a good flavor and spice blend.  They made the whole house smell good!  Looked pretty, too!  (Shhh!  This could definitely be a contender for this year's Christmas Cookie Exchange party.)

This recipe is from the Winter 2012 of the Penzeys Catalog on page 15, submitted by Angelina Liautaud.
I rolled the cookie dough balls in Wilton White Sparkling Sugar (found at Target) mixed with a little Penzeys Vanilla Sugar for added "Yum!" flavor.


MOLASSES SUGAR COOKIES

3/4 cup shortening (a little less)
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup molasses (overpoured a little on purpose)
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I used Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt the shortening in a 4 quart saucepan over low heat (I just used a 2 cup glass measuring cup and the microwave as I was going to use my KitchenAid to mix the dough).  Let cool slightly.  Add the sugar and molasses, stir and then add egg.  Beat well.  In medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.  Add to the molasses mixture.  Mix well and chill, covered for several hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 375.  Form the dough into 1" balls.  Roll in sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheeets.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes (10 my oven) until they have crackled.  Let cool slightly before removing to cooling racks.

Yield about 4 dozen cookies.
Nutrition information:  Serving size 2 cookies (41g) -- 180 calories, total fat 8g, cholesterol 10mg, sodium 200 mg, carbohydrate 26g, sugars 15g, protein 2g.