Monday, August 02, 2010

Frozen Hot Chocolate




When the temperature breaks 100...




I found this recipe in the August 2010 issue of Woman's Day magazine, page 100. It's by Joy Bauer from her book, Slim & Scrumptious. A book I will definitely be checking out from the library.

It is a take on Frozen Hot Chocolate, a signature dessert at Serendipity. My version is a little different, as I made it ahead and changed up the ingredients a little. It was actually more like a slightly creamy chocolate ice.

For starters, I used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate syrup. And instead of 1 cup of the evaporated milk, I used the entire can - 12 ounces. So I increased the chocolate syrup from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup, trying to keep the same proportions. It was really chocolate-y, I may decrease it to 2/3 cup. I also bumped up the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon.

I mixed the ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup and poured into 5 Chantal 1 cup sized custard cups. I put in the freezer around 1 PM and it was frozen by 6 PM. I pulled them out while we ate dinner and they softened just enough to be eaten easily with a spoon.

Another variation is to use 1/4 teaspoon mint extract instead of vanilla. To make the Mexican version, add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.

The result - 3.5/5.0 I will definitely make it again. It is much healthier than ice cream - no fat, no added sugar other than from the syrup. Perfect for hubby's late-night noshing.

Here is my version, followed by the original --

3/4 cup Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup
1 can (12 ounces) fat free evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix together, pour into cups and freeze
150 calories, 5 g protein, 0 g fat, 85 mg sodium

or
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups ice cubes

Combine ingredients in blender until smooth, pour into glasses. Garnish with a dollop of whipped topping and chocolate shavings.

No comments: