Saturday, August 28, 2010

Better For You Brownies


This is from the September 1, 2010 issue of Woman's Day, page 198. Here's the link to the original recipe and here are my changes.

First thing I did was cut the recipe in half. Then I umped up the chocolate quotient with Ghiradelli 60% Bittersweet chocolate chips instead of semisweet. I also used a 4 ounce snack pack unsweetened applesauce container. (I learned this trick along the way, instead of opening a large jar of applesauce and having it go moldy before using it all. Best to pay a little bit more than to waste money throwing your savings away.) For the whole wheat flour I used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat. And I also found that using the silicone baking pans - mine is the Calphalon Bake for the Cure - releases the brownies easily without having to use parchment paper, releasable foil, or even Pam. I love it! The result: I've tried a lot of low-fat, "healthier" brownies, with usually less than satisfying results. They were too cakey, never gooey or chewy. Up until this recipe, I've about given up trying and just sticking to willpower and the real deal. These have come pretty close to sinning. With a 5/8" height, it's denser but you can still detect lighter feel. I really think the bittersweet chocolate keeps it more gourmet/unusual to help fool your tastebuds a little easier.

Better-For-You Brownies - Revised

1/2 cup Ghiradelli 60% Bittersweet chocolate chips
1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut up
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 - 4 ounce container unsweetened applesauce
2 large egg whites
1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large glass bowl, stirring every 10 seconds until melted and smooth. Whisk in sugar, applesauce and egg whites until mixed well. Mix together flour, cocoa and salt then stir into mixture just until blended. Spread into pan, top with walnuts. Bake 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Makes 12 brownies. 118 calories, 2g protein, 17g carb, 1g fiber, 6g fat (3g sat), 5mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium

2 comments:

becki-c said...

Hmmm, its been so long since I had brownies!
Do they taste good, or just healthy good. There's a difference if you are used to eating healthy you acquire the taste but it just isn't the same.

Peggy said...

Hey Becki, give these a try, seriously. I updated the post with my result. That's probably a good indication I was so hepped up on the chocolate last night and wanting to share the recipe with everyone! : ) (And they taste even better the next day!) (And yes, I was eating some of the chips which just happened to spill from the bag while I was checking the label!)