Monday, April 12, 2010

National Library Week!




April 11-17, 2010

Libraries have always had a soft spot in my heart. Growing up I used to spend hours there reading and eventually even working -- shelving the non-fiction books as a teen. (Sewing! 646.2 Cookbooks! 641.5) My daughter's Girl Scout Gold Award involved teen literacy and forming a book club. She was also a library volunteer.

If I may step on the soapbox, I do want to mention it is a pity budget cutbacks have curtailed these great places of community and learning. In particular, the City of Houston has proposed closing the branch libraries on Saturday of all days, only being open Monday-Friday (just the main library downtown is open on Sunday). Why not reconsider closing on Mondays instead and reopening on Saturdays? Just a helpful suggestion from moi while Houston City Council ponders and hopefully undoes their big goof.

Support your local library and let your voice be heard before you get shushed!

1 comment:

DangAndBlast! said...

Of course I'm not party to all the discussions or anything, but I know a lot of kids (including my husband when he was younger) go to the library after school and use it as a safe place to stay and do homework until their parents get off work. That's cited in many of the articles as the reason staying open after school M-F was the top priority. And one neighborhood branch (Stella Link) and all the regional branches (like Alief) are to stay open Saturdays, for what it's worth.

My favorite knitting shop in Houston's open a 5-day week, T-Sa, and I can say I much prefer that to hours where you can't go if you've got a 9-5 job, though!