Monday, January 25, 2010

Baton Rouge Adventure

I love Baton Rouge! It is such a pretty, friendly city. When Louisiana State University wrote to my daughter in September and asked her to apply, then accepted her the next week, I got all excited. You'd think I was going to go there! The city, the school colors - purple and gold, the Tiger pride...I could barely contain myself. We decided (I persuaded) it was worth a trip to hop in the car and drive, drive, drive I-10 - willing to confront my fear of bridges and heights for a return trip to Baton Rouge and check out LSU.
Bridges! Houston Ship Channel...Lake Charles...the 18 mile "swamp" bridge...and finally the Baton Rouge Mississippi bridge... Step one: Grip steering wheel tightly, Step two: Drive, don't look down, Step three: Peel fingers from steering wheel, wipe sweaty palms. Oh, and keep breathing. Repeat, repeat, repeat...

The people are so nice there -- I love the accent, the friendliness. They make great crystal clear iced tea - "sweet or unsweet?". And could it have been a sign as we drove to our hotel I had a sense of deja vu? Actually it was the same one we stayed at our last visit - 14 years ago!












One of the front desk clerks even gave us the name of a great bakery for King Cakes - Baum's. We went to both locations. And bought two King Cakes (traditional cinnamon and Bavarian Cream), amongst other goodies. So worth the trip right there.
And a stop at Baton Rouge's Hobby Lobby for Mardi Gras craft supplies. They even print the date of Mardi Gras - February 16, 2010 - on the packages!
Will L decide upon LSU? Still up in the air. She was recruited, applied and accepted to seven different colleges and universities. So much for that idea of weeding them out. But at least we had time for another a fun mother-daughter trip adventure before she leaves the nest.

1 comment:

Lala said...

Hi Peggy! Glad you had a nice time! Yep... bridges... NOT A FAV HERE EITHER! When we lived on LI and would head South I would put my head between my knees going over the bridges out of the city!

Aren't Mardi Gras colors FABULOUS?

Decisions decisions!!!

Lala :o)