Monday, September 22, 2008

An oldie but goodie


I started using tracing paper again, along with my original "vintage" 1970 tracing wheel. The patterns I've been sewing lately have lots of darts, that's good. But sometimes my pin and chalk-marking can get a little off. The last thing you want is a wonky misdirected arrow. I picked up a package of the Dritz Double-Faced Wax-Free Tracing Paper for grins at the last Jo-Ann's 50% off notions sale. This isn't your tracing paper from yesteryear. Remember the big, thick sheets you'd have to refold to use? These are double-sided 3" x 19 1/2" strips you can easily insert and mark your darts and dots. The colors (white, yellow, orange, red and blue) are softer, not as deep and bright, which can be a good thing as we all take a moment to recall brightly colored dots showing through for washing eternity. The only thing you have to be careful of now? Not picking up the rotary cutter instead of the tracing wheel. Whew! I caught myself in time! Save yourself and your project and move the cutter away from the table when marking your fabric.