Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Blame Dr. Neil Frank

Dr. Neil Frank became the chief meteorologist at KHOU after Hurricane Alicia hit Houston back in 1983. During his tenure...until he retired earlier this year...no hurricanes near Houston. Now we have Ike heading straight towards us. The current track shows the eye going right over my neck of the woods, unless it changes course PDQ. It's interesting to observe the behavior contrast of our citizens and the newscasters. I had to stop watching Channel 13 especially, they were trying to scare the bejeebers out of me. Here's a cedar fence at 100 mph! Here was a cedar fence now turned into javelins. But -- you go to the grocery store, there's no panic. People are calmly buying a case of water, Doritos and other fine Frito-Lay products. The Weather Channel needs to get a commercial sponsorship with Frito-Lay! Texas-made, Texas-eaten for Texas weather needs. I went to Lowe's for some plastic sheeting to cover the windows in case my fence decides to come inside and then to use afterwards for Burda WOF pattern tracing. Not crazy there. There are some lines at the gas stations - gas jumped 10 cents per gallon overnight - and then a few that are out of gas already, or so they say. But even then, everyone was and is still behaving themselves. Which is why I think the TV stations are doomsdaying to the nth degree. My MIL calls to tell us to come to the Ranch. But it is practically impossible right now. Galveston and other coastal cities are going to Austin. First, I'm in a "shelter in place" county and I don't want to take up space on the road which other people more deserving need. And I'm not repeating my Rita evacuation stunt. Suffice to say I now have a different car and no longer have to shield my face when driving along I-10. Instead of miles per hour, it was hours per mile. It took us 10 hours to get to Brookshire 55 miles away until I snapped and busted through the police barricades and turned around going 90 mph right before they finally decided to contraflow I-10. So we'll be in the hallway, waiting out Ike. Please keep us and Texas in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: